Research & Development
SeTeL has always paid great attention to R&D activities which initially were developed in technical documentation sector and subsequently gradually moved towards the various areas of Complex Systems Engineering, up to the design of the MAR Amphibious Rover, an enabling platform on which to install ad-hoc sensors and enabling instrumentation.
Today MAR – Multifunction Amphibious Rover has become our main project.
Relations with OdR and R&D Centers
R&D activities have always developed by constantly interacting with Industry and Research organizations. Hence SeTeL’s ability to integrate non-homogeneous skills and competences and to:
- promote and optimize the multidisciplinary relationship and communication capacity between complex organizations (large, medium, small and OdR) in the development of projects with a high technological content;
- ensure effective governance of the activities/problems connected to the integration of national and international subjects (companies, universities, research, etc.) with very different languages, techniques and entrepreneurial cultures;
- directing and managing processes aimed at creating clusters and networks of clusters, between entrepreneurial and research subjects, operating on innovative supply chains.
Below are some of the OdR and Universities with which SeTeL has collaborated over the years:
- Libera Università S.Pio V di Roma
- Università di Calabria – Laboratorio di Documentazione (LABDOC)
- Università la Sapienza di Roma – Centro Ricerche per il Trasporto e la Logistica
- Università la Sapienza di Roma – Dipartimento di Studi Linguistici e Letterari
- Università la Sapienza di Roma – Dipartimento di Ingegneria Meccanica e Aerospaziale
- Università degli Studi della Tuscia – Dipartimento per la innovazione nei sistemi biologici, agroalimentari e forestali
- Università degli Studi di Roma Tor Vergata – Dipartimento scienza e tecnologia dei materiali
- Università degli Studi di Roma 3 – Dipartimento di scienze
- Università degli Studi di Roma 3 – Laboratorio di Misure Elettriche ed Elettroniche
- Università degli Studi di Catania – Dipartimento di Agricoltura, Alimentazione e Ambiente
- CREA – Consiglio per la Ricerca in Agricoltura e l’Analisi dell’Economia Agraria
- LUISS – Business School
- Link Campus University
- Istituto per la Microelettronica e Microsistemi del CNR
- ASI (Italian Space Agency)
- ENEA (Technology Transfer Unit) for T3GOV Project – territorial Technology Transfer Governance
The Projects over the years
SeTeL, in collaboration with the Laboratory of Electrical and Electronic Measures of the Faculty of Engineering of Rome 3 and the CNR-IMM, wins, as a Prime, of a project funded by the POR FESR 2007/2013, called SIMPFLEX, Stretching/Pressure Measurement System, distributed on flexible or semi-flexible surfaces with autonomous sensors.
The basic concept that inspired the project is the development of a new family of multisensory systems of “contactless” measurement systems that are totally autonomous – also for power supply – and able to transfer the data to be measured to the processing, without the use of physical electrical connections between the parts of the system.
SeTeL, in collaboration with the Laboratory of Electrical and Electronic Measures of the Faculty of Engineering of Rome 3, presents a proposal within the initiative on “Technological Research Promoters” (funded by the Province of Rome), relating to vulnerabilities and protection techniques of photovoltaic systems.
SeTeL role is the industrial sponsor. The proposal was accepted for funding.
Project COLD ENERGY was founded by Ministry of Environment. The objective was Energy saving on large industrial refrigeration system.
SeTeL role was the analysis and device vulnerabilities, realization of the control system of the refrigeration machine and energy saving measurement.
Prime: Industria Angelantoni.
Partner: Faculty of Mechanical Engineering Rome 3.
Shape Memory Alloy-Based Actuators for Aerospace
Call ASI (Italian Space Agency) on Research and Development Projects. Theme: “Materials, Components, Sensors”.
SeTeL, in partnership with Aerosekur, presents the ALMAS Project aimed to develop a PinPuller for space devices, based on Shape Memory Alloys technology. Role of SeTeL was the analysis of the pinpuller failure modes.
Research Agreement for autonomic logistics
In the last 8 years SeTeL has developed an intense relationship with the Faculty of Sciences of Rome 3, stimulating a lot of master thesis and scientific publications on Autonomic Logistic and on ASD 3000 L.
It is a research area that applies to complex systems such as: satellite systems, railway systems, large plants already equipped with sensors for temperature, vibration, pressures, electric and magnetic fields etc. with current technology they provide indications of the overall status with indications of the type ok-not ok. Maintaining systems in efficiency is therefore traditionally regulated by static, human-guided maintenance plans, even if supported by a computer.
An innovative method is to equip individual components with specialized microsensors, able to assess the expected performance related to the specific mode in progress.
The Autonomous Logistic, unlike traditional structures, aims to assess the state of degradation of each individual parameter and their whole in order to be able to determine the remaining life related not only to the overt failure (already detectable with the systems degradation of the set of parameters). On this goal SeTeL is able to pour a significant “tesauro” of experience.
The development of Autonomic Logistics policies and devices, enables continuous surveillance of the real-time health of components, reducing the risks of unexpected events and shifting maintenance activities “on condition” with obvious improvements safety, service availability and business cost-effectiveness.
Duration: 18 months
Start date: 18/01/2018
End date: 18/11/2019
- SeTel Srl – leader
- IDS SpA
- DIBAF “Università della Tuscia”– Department for Innovation in Biological, Agrifood and Forest System
- CNR – IMM Roma
- Link Campus University
The project idea called AgridroneVision focuses on the creation and development of an integrated and intelligent system for innovative applications with a high knowledge content in the precision agriculture sector. The system will consist of a remotely piloted aircraft component equipped with multi-sensory instrumentation dedicated to proximal sensing, a ground control station and an innovative terrestrial rover and a series of sensors for monitoring the main microclimatic parameters.
The main activities of the project concerned the construction of the following integrated subsystems:
- Drone system. This system consist of an aircraft component and a remotely piloted land rover, equipped with multi-sensory instrumentation dedicated to proximal observation (proximal sensing) and mechanical actuators..
- Monitoring System. The system consists of a ground control station and specific command, data fusion and decision-making software.
- Sensor system. Commercial sensors were analyzed and innovative sensors developed for monitoring the main microclimatic parameters.
The project is co-financed with the funds of the POR-FESR 2014/2020 of the Lazio Region, based on the “LIFE 2020” Public Notice (“Public Notice”) approved with Det n. G08726 dated July 29, 2016.
Title: SCAMP (Smart Components via AM – Additive Manufacturing – polymeric)
Duration: 18 months + 3
Expected start date: April 2018
Expected end date: 31/01/2020
- Leading Company: Thales Alenia Space Italia
- Partners: SeTeL s.r.l. – HB Technology s.r.l. – Dragonfly s.r.l.
- University and Research Organisms: University of Rome Tor Vergata Department of Engineering of the “Mario Lucertini” Company and The National Research Council – Institute for the study of nanostructured materials – ISMN.
The project aims to create a significant tertiary structure of nanosatellite, made of innovative polymeric/nanocomposite material using AM techniques and integrating materials, nanotechnologies, microelectronics and Advanced Manufacturing in the same structure.
The role of SeTeL is to correlate the reliability of the product by monitoring, tracing and post processing the AM production data, collected by multispectral and IMU sensors.
The project is co-financed by funds of the POR-FESR 2014/2020 of the Lazio Region, Call for Kets Technologies Enabling.
LIFE- WINEGROVER: Precision Agriculture System to limit the impact on the environment, on health and on air quality of grape production.
Title: Precision Agriculture System to limit the impact on the environment, on health and on air quality of grape production.
Expected start date: 01/09/2020
Expected end date: 31/10/2023
The project will be implemented in the following Member State(s) and Region(s) or other countries:
- Italy (Lazio and Toscana)
- Portugal (Norte)
- Spain (Andalusia)
LIST OF BENEFICIARIES:
- Coordinating beneficiary: Università degli Studi della Tuscia
- Associated beneficiary: CREA – Counsil for Agricultural Research and Agricultural Economy Alalysis – CREA VE Research Center – Viticulture and Oenology
- Associated beneficiary: Inova+ – Innovation Services, S.A.
- Associated beneficiary: LUISS – LIBERA UNIVERSITÀ INTERNAZIONALE DEGLI STUDI SOCIALI GUIDO CARLI
- Associated beneficiary: Asociacion Empresarial Multisectorial Innovadora para las Ciudades Inteligentes
- Associated beneficiary: SETEL Servizi Tecnici Logistici Srl
- Associated beneficiary: Wellness Telecom S.L.
Main objective of the Project is to decrease the environmental impact related to grape production by introducing novel technologies for Precision Agriculture (PA) and validate in two vineyards in Italy and Spain the technical performance of a cost-effective and integral solution based on the implementation of a new PA system developed in a previous research project.
The main activities in whose SeTeL is mainly involved are the following:
- Development and implementation of the prototypes of the terrestrial Rover, an innovative autonomous terrestrial electric rover moving along the vineyard equipped with multy-sensory instrumentation for proximal sensing and actuators.
- Development and implementation of a ground control station for missions control and real time location system. The system is based on MAVLINK protocols. Local proximity sensors operate independently from the remote guidance, immobilizing the vehicle when not explicitly authorized from the ground station.
PROJECT BUDGET AND REQUESTED EU FUNDING:
- Total project budget: 2,188,137 Euro
- Totale eligible project budget: 2,188,137 Euro
- EU financial contribution requested: 1,203,275 Euro (=55% of total eligible budget)